I believe academics have much to learn and much to contribute by reaching out to a wider audience beyond the narrow confines of academia. I have found that my (albeit limited) engagement with wider audiences has helped me to present my own ideas in a more succinct and accessible manner, and forced me to engage in more sustained reflection on the implications of my thinking for contemporary developments, and the implications of those developments for my thinking. Here are the main venues through which I have had the opportunity to engage with audiences beyond the university:
POPULAR JOURNALS & NEWS MEDIA
POPULAR JOURNALS & NEWS MEDIA
- 2/9/2017 "Time for a New Republic, One That's a Community of Communities." Opinion piece published in The Irish Times, with combined average daily sales of 77,657 copies for its print and ePaper editions in the first half of 2017. For a reformatted pdf copy of the published article, click here.
- 30/8/2017 "Acoger al Extraño" ("Welcoming the Stranger"). Opinion piece published in Levante, La Provincia, and Faro de Vigo, three regional Spanish newspapers with estimated circulations of 20,000, 14,000, and 27,000 respectively. For one version of the published article, click here.
- 31/7/2017 "Sobre el concepto del federalismo plurinacional y asimétrico" ("The concept of plurinational and asymmetric federalism"). Opinion piece published in El Español, a Spanish online newspaper with a daily audience of approximately 1 million worldwide. Published article available here.
- 20/7/2017 "Más Allá de la Soberanía del Pueblo" ("Beyond Popular Sovereignty"). Opinion piece published in El Español, a Spanish online newspaper with a daily audience of approximately 1 million worldwide. Published article available here.
- 5/12/2016 "Populismos: vacío ético en la esfera pública" ("Populism: the Ethical Vacuum in the Public Sphere"). Opinion piece published in El Mundo, Spain's 2nd largest printed daily newspaper. circulation approx. 330,000. Published article available here. Contact the author for an English translation.
- Dec 2015 "Hacer negocios con integridad" ("Doing Business with Integrity"). Article published in Tendencias (Dec 2015), a business journal published by Instituto Empresa y Humanismo, Universidad de Navarra. Original English version available here.
- 15/5/2015 "Recuperar el valor de las promesas políticas" ("Recovering the Value of Political Promises"). Opinion piece published in Expansión, Spain's 2nd largest business newspaper, circulation approx. 50,000. Published article available here. English translation available here.
- 18/8/2014 "La Crisis de La Integridad en la Vida Pública" ("The Crisis of Integrity in Public Life"). Opinion piece published in El Mundo, Spain's 2nd largest printed daily newspaper. circulation approx. 330,000. Published article available here. Contact the author for an English translation.
- 21/5/2014 "Compromiso Ciudadano y Futuro de Europa" ("Weak Citizens Make for a Weak Union: Some Reflections on the 'State of the Union' on the Eve of the 2014 EU Elections"). Opinion piece published in Expansión, Spain's 2nd largest business newspaper, circulation approx. 50,000. Published article available here. English translation available here.
- Coordinator and co-founder of Spotlight, a public forum of philosophy, culture, and public affairs based in Pamplona. Spotlight convenes debates and public talks in a local bar on issues of public interest such as patriotism, consumerism, social responsibility, contemporary art, civic friendship, and the mission of the university. Spotlight has convened over 18 public discussions between April 2015 and April 2017.
- 27/8/2005 "La Experiencia Católica ante la Democracia en las Sociedades. Ha Sido Promotora o Inhibidora? (The Catholic Encounter with Modern Democracy: Has it Been Constructive or Inhibiting?). Guest Speaker, 5th Annual Meeting of Association of Mexican Entrepreneurs (Unión Social de Empresarios Mexicanos) at Bonaterra Business School, Aguascalientes, Mexico.
- 25/3/2008 "The Relational Basis of Human Solidarity: Why Humanitarian Duties Are Not Enough." Presented at International Solidarity Forum organized by the World Youth Alliance, United Nations Headquarters, NYC.
- 10/2/2012 "Who Is My Neighbour? The Challenges of Christian Charity in a Globalized World." Presented to Personalist Project in Westchester, PA. The Personalist Project is a non-profit organization based in West Chester, PA, "dedicated to the spread of Christian personalism," as embodied in the work of Dietrich von Hildebrand, among others. It brings together people of different backgrounds who share an interest in dialoguing about the ideas of Christian personalism. To listen to the talk online, click here.
- 27/4/2015 "Lo pequeño es hermoso: hacia una sociedad a escala humana" (Small is beautiful: toward a society on a human scale). Presented as part of The Spotlight series at La Facultad bar, Avenida Pio XII, Pamplona. The Spotlight is a a forum where invited speakers address topics of general interest, directed especially to students and young professionals.
- 16/12/15 "La Sociedad Civil y la Crisis de la Ciudadanía en Europa” [Civil Society and the Crisis of Citizenship in Europe]. Presented at public conference on European culture organized by Raices Europeas, a center of European culture and education based in Vitoria, Spain. To view a video of the presentation, click here.
- 22/3/17 "El Arte del Consenso" [The Art of Compromise]. Presented as part of The Spotlight series at El Pilón Bar, Calle Abejeras, Pamplona. The Spotlight is a a forum where guest speakers address topics of general interest, directed especially to students and young professionals.
- 6/10/17 "Renovando la vida cívica desde la sociedad civil" (Rehabilitating Citizenshp from Within Civil Society). Guest Speaker, 9th Meeting of the Encuentro Mundial de Valores in Monterrey, Mexico. A full video of the presentation can be found here.
- 2/6/2014 Interviewed for 98.3 Radio, affiliated to the University of Navarra, concerning an academic conference I had just organized on the ethics of citizenship, and the results of the recent European Union elections. Full interview (in Spanish) available here.
- 29/10/2014 Interviewed by COPE, a national radio station based in Madrid with an estimated daily listenership of 1,998,000, concerning the problem of political corruption in Spain. Full interview (in Spanish) available here.