- I have found that my (albeit limited) engagement with wider audiences has helped me to present my own ideas in a more succinct and accessible manner, and forced me to engage in more sustained reflection on the implications of my thinking for contemporary developments, and the implications of those developments for my thinking. Here are the main venues through which I have had the opportunity to engage with audiences beyond the university:
(English language contributions)
- 17/01/2021 “Has America Become a 'House Divided'?” 10 minute interview with Wendy Grace on Spirit Radios's "Morning Show."
- 17/11/2020 “Covid Impact on Businesses: Are the Restrictions Justified?” 7 minute interview with Rob Clarke on Spirit Radio's "Morning Show."
- 1/09/2020 “What's All this About Case Numbers?” 12 minute interview with Wendy Grace on "The Morning Show" on Spirit Radio.
- 6/08/2020 “Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?” 12 minute interview with Wendy Grace on "The Morning Show" on Spirit Radio.
- 17/04/2020 “Does the Lockdown Spell Consumerism's End?” 5 minute interview with Shane Coleman on Newstalk's "Breakfast Show". We discuss the potential for a revival of habits of solidarity and care during the unfolding pandemic.
- 17/02/2020 “The Case Against the Sovereign State: In Conversation with David Thunder” 53 minute interview with Dr Billy Christmas, political theory lecturer and host of The Governance Podcast at King's College, London.
- 3/10/2019 “Are Climate Change Activists Overlooking the World's Other Problems?” 10 minute interview on Newstalk's "Breakfast Show".
- 8/06/2019 “The Battle for the Soul of Europe: Some Reflections on the Wider Ramifications of the Recent European Elections.” 10 minute interview with Steve Johnson on "The Morning Show" on Spirit FM. Official link here (starts at minute 10:48).
- 1/04/2019 “Ireland's Political and Media Establishment Seems Out of Touch With Many Ordinary Voters.” 11 minute interview with Wendy Grace on "The Morning Show" on Spirit FM.
- 1/04/2019 “Is Ireland One Economic Shock Away From a Populist Movement?” 7 minute interview on "The Breakfast Show" with Kieran Cuddihy on Newstalk. We discuss the potential for a populist movement to take off in Ireland.
- 21/12/2018 "Lazy Liberalism and the Disenfranchisement of 1 in 3 Irish Voters." 14 minute interview with Wendy Grace for The Morning Show on Spirit FM.
- 17/12/2018 "Making Sense of the UN Global Migration Compact" 50 minute interview with Gary Kavanaugh for "The Right Side" podcast.
- 1/12/2018 "Why A Free Press Cannot Fulfill Its Public Functions in an Ideological Echochamber." My 30 minute presentation at a panel discussion on freedom of the press and media, in Blu Radisson hotel in Dublin, organized by MOOT, a "forum for truthful discussion and debate around the many challenges that face our society today; no matter how uncomfortable that discussion may be."
- 29/11/2018 "Is Ireland's Media An Ideological Echochamber?" Participated in live national TV debate on TV3's Tonight Show, hosted by Ivan Yates and Sinead O'Carroll. Fast forward to 6:20 for our 15 minute panel discussion.
- 16/9/2018 “Nationalism: Good or Bad?” Interview on "On the Record" with Kieran Cuddihy on Newstalk, one of Ireland's national radio stations. We discuss the rise of nationalism in Europe and some of the factors driving it.
- 10/2/2012 "Who Is My Neighbour? The Challenges of Christian Charity in a Globalized World." Presented to Personalist Project in Westchester, PA. The Personalist Project is a non-profit organization based in West Chester, PA, "dedicated to the spread of Christian personalism," as embodied in the work of Dietrich von Hildebrand, among others. It brings together people of different backgrounds who share an interest in dialoguing about the ideas of Christian personalism.
(Spanish language contributions)
- 6/10/17 "Renovando la vida cívica desde la sociedad civil" (Rehabilitating Citizenshp from Within Civil Society). Guest Speaker, 9th Meeting of the Encuentro Mundial de Valores in Monterrey, Mexico.
- 29/10/2014 Interviewed by COPE, a national radio station based in Madrid, concerning the problem of political corruption in Spain. Full interview (in Spanish) available here.
POPULAR JOURNALS & NEWSPAPERS:
Contributions in English:
- 17/2/2021 "Lockdowns: One of the Most Catastrophic Policy Errors of Modern Times." Op. ed. GRIPT (Irish Online Platform for News & Comment). Republished by Mercatornet here.
- 3/2/2021 "Covid and Social Engineering." Nuevas Tendencias, preprint.
- 15/1/2021 "Has American Become a 'House Divided'?" Mercatornet.
- 02/12/2020 "Why Government Has No Right to Tell Us Who We May Have Over For Christmas Dinner." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 03/11/2020 "Do Governments Have the Moral or Constitutional Authority to Prevent Citizens from Making a Living?" Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 20/08/2020 "NPHET's Justification for Regional Lockdown Does Not Stand Up to Scrutiny." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 29/07/2020 "The Cure for Covid-19 May Be Worse Than the Disease." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 15/05/2020 "Where to Draw the Line on Letting Science Drive Policy." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 15/04/2020 "Coronavirus May Shake us out of our Individualist Slumber." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 27/1/2020 "What Will Britain Look Like 50 years After Brexit?" RTÉ's Brainstorm.
- 28/12/2019 "No, Ireland Does Not Have the 3rd Highest Quality of Life in the World." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 12/12/2019 "Legislation Against Hate Speech Is ill-advised and Counterproductive." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 30/8/2019 "Obama is Right: Woke Culture is Utopian and Judgmental." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 17/10/2019 "Treating Catholics With Contempt Does Nothing to Advance the Cause of Social Progress." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 30/8/2019 "Time to Put Quality of Life at the Heart of Our Economic Policies." Op. ed. GRIPT.
- 22/7/2019 "Youtube Row Raises Serious Questions on Censorship by Tech Giants." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 29/4/2019 "An Outside-the-box Approach to Economic Regulation." RTÉ's Brainstorm.
- 29/3/2019 "'Progressive Ireland' is a Fantasy Cultivated by Elites." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 31/1/2019 "A Patriot Once Again: Can Patriotism Be Salvaged From Its Past?" RTÉ's Brainstorm.
- 23/1/2019 "Populism Not Going Away Anytime Soon." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 17/1/2019 "Catholic Ireland Should Examine Her Conscience, and Weep." The Irish Catholic. For an unofficial, non-subscriber version of the full text, click here.
- 9/1/2019 "Imagine There's No Countries." Mercatornet.
- 4/12/2018 "The Ethics of Finance: Can a Good Person Be a Good Trader?" Short piece with Marta Rocchi for RTÉ's Brainstorm.
- 21/11/2018 "Greater Shared Sovereignty Not Sole Solution to Europe's Woes." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 29/10/2018 "Progressives Need to Hear Out Dissenting Viewpoints." Mercatornet.
- 24/10/2018 "Sectarian 'Progressivism' is the Real Threat to Freedom - not our Prohibition of Blasphemy." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 12/9/2018 "Why Does Nationalism Exude a Seductive Appeal?" Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 22/8/2018 "Irish Media Has Become an Ideological Echochamber." Op. ed. The Irish Times.
- 2/9/2017 "Time for a New Republic, One That's a Community of Communities." Op. ed. published in The Irish Times. For a reformatted pdf copy of the published article, click here.
Contributions in Spanish:
- 08/02/2021 "Una pandemia no se supera perpetuando estados de emergencia" ("You don't overcome a pandemic by perpetuating a state of emergency"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 14/1/2021 "El asalto al capitolio, síntoma de la fractura en la democracia en EE. UU." ("The Storming of the Capitol: Symptom of a Fracturing USA"). Op ed. The Conversation (Spain).
- 12/12/2020 "Hay bienes más importantes que la minimización de contagios" ("Some things are more important than the minimisation of infections"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 18/11/2020 "La Covid-19 expone los límites del poder" ("Covid-19 Exposes the Limits of Political Power"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 22/9/2020 "¿Nuestra Respuesta a Covid Es Sostenible y Ajustada a la Realidad?" ("Is Our Response to Covid Sustainable and Realistic?"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 25/6/2020 "El coronavirus nos despierta de nuestra hibernación" ("Covid Wakes Us Up From Our Individual Hibernation"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 6/6/2020 "Respetemos el sentido común de los ciudadanos" ("Let's Respect Citizens' Common Sense"). Op ed. Diario de Navarra.
- 28/2/2020 "Brexit: ¿una inspiración para los secesionistas en Europa?" ("Brexit: An Inspiration for Other Secessionists in Europe?"). Op ed. Hoy.
- 8/2/2020 "¿Cómo será Gran Bretaña dentro de 50 años?" ("What will Great Britain look like in 50 years time?"). Op ed. El Confidencial.
- 10/11/2019 "El arte de ceder" ("The Art of Compromise"). Op ed. Expansión. For pdf version of original, click here.
- 25/5/2019 "Elecciones europeas: la EU en la encrucijada" ("European Elections: the EU at a Crossroads"). Opinion piece published in Expansión, Spain's 2nd largest business newspaper.
- 4/11/2017 "El Fracaso del Mayoritarismo." ("The Failure of Majoritarianism"). Op ed. El País. Published article available here.
- 30/8/2017 "Acoger al Extraño" ("Welcoming the Stranger"). Opinion piece published in Levante, La Provincia, and Faro de Vigo, three regional Spanish newspapers. For one version of the published article, click here.
- 31/7/2017 "Sobre el concepto del federalismo plurinacional y asimétrico" ("The concept of plurinational and asymmetric federalism"). Op. ed. published in El Español, a Spanish online newspaper with a daily audience of approximately 1 million worldwide. Published article available here.
- 20/7/2017 "Más Allá de la Soberanía del Pueblo" ("Beyond Popular Sovereignty"). Opinion piece published in El Español. Published article available here.
- 5/12/2016 "Populismos: vacío ético en la esfera pública" ("Populism: the Ethical Vacuum in the Public Sphere"). Opinion piece published in El Mundo. Published article available here. Contact the author for an English translation.
- Dec 2015 "Hacer negocios con integridad" ("Doing Business with Integrity"). Article published in Tendencias (Dec 2015), a business journal published by Instituto Empresa y Humanismo, Universidad de Navarra. Original English version available here.
- 15/5/2015 "Recuperar el valor de las promesas políticas" ("Recovering the Value of Political Promises"). Opinion piece published in Expansión. Published article available here. English translation available here.
- 18/8/2014 "La Crisis de La Integridad en la Vida Pública" ("The Crisis of Integrity in Public Life"). Opinion piece published in El Mundo, Spain's 2nd largest printed daily newspaper. circulation approx. 330,000. Published article available here. Contact the author for an English translation.
- 21/5/2014 "Compromiso Ciudadano y Futuro de Europa" ("Weak Citizens Make for a Weak Union: Some Reflections on the 'State of the Union' on the Eve of the 2014 EU Elections"). Opinion piece published in Expansión, Spain's 2nd largest business newspaper, circulation approx. 50,000. Published article available here. English translation available here.
- Coordinator and co-founder of Spotlight, a public forum of philosophy, culture, and public affairs based in Pamplona. Spotlight convenes debates and public talks in a local bar on issues of public interest such as patriotism, consumerism, social responsibility, contemporary art, civic friendship, and the mission of the university. Spotlight has convened over 18 public discussions between April 2015 and April 2017.
- 08/02/19 Invited commentator/discussant at “Thinking Outside the Ballot Box” event organized by Foundation for European Progressive Studies and TASC (Think-Thank for Action on Social Change). Charleton Hilton Hotel, Dublin.
- 1/12/18 "Why a Free Press Cannot Fulfill Its Public Functions in an Ideological Echochamber." Presented on a public panel discussion on freedom of the press and media, organized by MOOT (www.moot.ie) in the Radisson Blu hotel in Golden Lane, Dublin.
- 8/11/18 "Bienestar sostenible y cuidado de nuestros mayores: el papel de la sociedad civil" ("Sustaniable well-being and care for our elderly"). Presented at conference on "bienestar sostenible: ¿es posible?" ("Sustainable welfare: Is it possible?") organized in Civivox Iturrama by Kratos, an association dedicated to promoting "una ciudadanía proactiva y ejemplar" ("a proactive and exemplary citizenry").
- 26/10/18 “¿Cómo cohesionar un territorio conformado por diferentes comunidades?" ("How Can One Unify a Territory Constituted by Diverse Communities?") Guest speaker at 18th conference of Sociedad de Estudios Vascos (Society of Basque Studies), held at Pamplona’s Civican (civic center).
- 6/10/17 "Renovando la vida cívica desde la sociedad civil" (Rehabilitating Citizenshp from Within Civil Society). Guest Speaker, 9th Meeting of the Encuentro Mundial de Valores in Monterrey, Mexico. A full video of the presentation can be found here.
- 22/3/17 "El Arte del Consenso" [The Art of Compromise]. Presented as part of The Spotlight series at El Pilón Bar, Calle Abejeras, Pamplona. The Spotlight is a a forum where guest speakers address topics of general interest, directed especially to students and young professionals.
- 27/4/2015 "Lo pequeño es hermoso: hacia una sociedad a escala humana" (Small is beautiful: toward a society on a human scale). Presented as part of The Spotlight series at La Facultad bar, Avenida Pio XII, Pamplona. The Spotlight is a a forum where invited speakers address topics of general interest, directed especially to students and young professionals.
- 16/12/15 "La Sociedad Civil y la Crisis de la Ciudadanía en Europa” [Civil Society and the Crisis of Citizenship in Europe]. Presented at public conference on European culture organized by Raices Europeas, a center of European culture and education based in Vitoria, Spain. To view a video of the presentation, click here.
- 10/2/2012 "Who Is My Neighbour? The Challenges of Christian Charity in a Globalized World." Presented to Personalist Project in Westchester, PA. The Personalist Project is a non-profit organization based in West Chester, PA, "dedicated to the spread of Christian personalism," as embodied in the work of Dietrich von Hildebrand, among others. It brings together people of different backgrounds who share an interest in dialoguing about the ideas of Christian personalism. To listen to the talk online, click here.
- 25/3/2008 "The Relational Basis of Human Solidarity: Why Humanitarian Duties Are Not Enough." Presented at International Solidarity Forum organized by the World Youth Alliance, United Nations Headquarters, NYC.
- 27/8/2005 "La Experiencia Católica ante la Democracia en las Sociedades. Ha Sido Promotora o Inhibidora? (The Catholic Encounter with Modern Democracy: Has it Been Constructive or Inhibiting?). Guest Speaker, 5th Annual Meeting of Association of Mexican Entrepreneurs (Unión Social de Empresarios Mexicanos) at Bonaterra Business School, Aguascalientes, Mexico.